Friday, January 8, 2021

Never Marry a Writer

Book 3 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

Never Marry a Writer
by Tolu' A. Akinyemi

Summary
published 2021

A collection of poetry about the power of words.

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
I found this book when browsing through my auto-approvals on NetGalley (the full disclaimer will be in my review below).  The cover art intrigued me and when I saw the description as "poetry" I decided to give it a shot.  Poetry is like pizza to me (no matter how it's prepared or delivered I know I will never hate it) so this was a safe bet to take a chance on with no further investigation.

My Opinion
4 stars

**I received an electronic copy of this book via NetGalley and would like to thank the author and/of publisher for the opportunity to read and honestly review it**

Each poem was brief but layered.  If I read at a normal pace they would be over before they began so it was a good reminder to slow down my pace and sit in the moment after I finished, which is how I feel poetry should be read.  So I read slowly, more than once, and thought about my interpretation.

I would read this author again.

Quote from the Book
"Their mouths are wet, but my lips were dry
  from the emptiness of their words."

No comments:

Post a Comment