Monday, January 18, 2021

Trixie and Katya's Guide to Modern Womanhood

 Book 6 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

Trixie and Katya's Guide to Modern Womanhood
by Trixie Mattel and Katya

Summary (via Goodreads)
published 2020

Drag superstars Trixie Mattel and Katya have long captivated fans with their stunning looks, onscreen chemistry, and signature wit. In Trixie and Katya's Guide to Modern Womanhood, the pair channel that energy into an old-school etiquette guide for ladies.
In essays, conversations, and how-to sections peppered with hilarious, gorgeous photos, Trixie and Katya will advise readers on beauty and fashion and tackle other vital components of a happy home, such as money, self-love, and friendship; sharing advice and personal stories in high-concept fashion.

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
I love Trixie and Katya so much, mostly their dynamic on joint projects but also individually, and I'm very very excited to FINALLY read this book after receiving it for Christmas.  I've heard them talk about the book and pictures but I know there will still be surprises in here as well.

My Opinion
5 stars

This 5 star rating isn't a blanket recommendation.  If you don't know who they are, this probably isn't a book to pick up on a whim because it does take a certain backstory of their humor and personalities to know what is a joke and what isn't.  But if you're a fan like me, this book lives up to the expectations I had going in.

I know nothing about makeup and have no interest in wearing it, which is why I find makeup tutorials so soothing and am especially fascinated by the outfits, faces, and performances drag queens are able to create.  I have no interest in watching Rupaul's Drag Race but I love watching transformations of drag queens on YouTube.  I always watch Fashion Photo Ruview and The Pit Stop (recaps of Drag Race) which then gives me individual drag queens to watch more of.  That's how I found Trixie and Katya a few years ago and I've since watched/listened to every project they've done religiously.  

That's a long way to say I'm not the expected demographic for this book but I loved it.  It's also one of the few books that I think I would enjoy even more as an audiobook.

I also especially enjoyed the pictures of Katya's arms because she doesn't show her arms much in drag and I'm very curious about her tattoos.

Quote from the Book
"I'm not a huge fan of telling people what to do (which is why I've decided to write an advice book)..."

No comments:

Post a Comment