Thursday, October 21, 2021

September 11, 2001

 Book 44 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

September 11, 2001: The Day the World Changed Forever
by Baptiste Bouthier

Summary (via Goodreads)
published 2021

What do younger generations know about the terrible tragedy that shook America and the world on September 11, 2001? In this gripping documentary work by journalist Baptiste Bouthier and illustrator Heloïse Chochois, we first learn about the historic day from several inside perspectives. In the second half, the authors take stock of 9/11 in the days, weeks, and years that followed, from traumatized America to George W. Bush's crusade against the "axis of evil."
A not-be-missed piece of graphic non-fiction, published 20 years after the events in question.

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
I chose this book while browsing on NetGalley (full disclaimer below).  Using a graphic novel format to share nonfiction stories is something relatively new to me so it catches my eye every time I see it.  When combined with the subject of 9/11 and the inclusion of not just the day's events but also the aftermath/reflection, I didn't have any hesitation downloading it.

Illustrations on an e-reader can be dicey sometimes so I hope everything comes through clearly.

My Opinion
3 stars

**I received an electronic copy of this book via NetGalley and would like to thank the author and/or publisher for the opportunity to read and honestly review it**

My first note is that my concerns prior to reading about illustrations on an e-reader did not apply. I feel I got the full experience of the book even though it was an electronic version on my computer.

Beginning with the viewpoint of a student in France and how 9/11 and the aftermath of the wars and the Patriot Act were viewed internationally was an unique perspective (it included how the student learned about it in real time and then what they felt years later traveling to New York for themselves).

I was a college student and remember everyone gathered together to huddle around the tv.  This book made a good point about how the Internet and cell phones would shape the tragedy now...there would be more connection because it would become known more quickly but there would also be less connection because the act of gathering together in person to process things is no longer as common.

The following is not a critique even though it will read that way - let me explain!  
I may be overstepping in my interpretation but to me, the illustrations felt intentionally unpolished.  It added to the feeling of how it felt experiencing everything at the time.  There was no time to analyze or "pretty things up", things were just presented as they happened and we were all learning at the same time.
Again, I'm not knocking the illustrations at all.  They were really good!  Maybe "stark" is a better word?  I don't know...they accomplished what they were trying to convey but weren't overly produced or edited.  It felt like someone was standing on the scene with a sketchbook and these are the moments they captured.

I learned statistics I didn't know and the real photos at the end were a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment