Friday, October 22, 2021

The Betrayal

Book 47 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

The Betrayal by R.L. Stine

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 1993

Why do so many horrifying things happen on Fear Street? Nora knows.
She knows how the terror began. She knows about the young girl who burned at the stake - and the blood feud between two families that caused the unspeakable horror that has lasted 300 years!
She knows, and she wants to tell.
Are you sure you want to hear it?

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
I spent many hours reading these paperback teen thrillers (R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike, etc.) when I was younger.  I've been in a reading slump lately so I decided to pull some off of my bookshelves and revisit them.  This book has double duty; it's the first book of the "Fear Street Saga" so it's a good place to start and it also has a title starting with 'B' which is one I still need for my extra challenge (read titles this year starting with each letter of the alphabet).

As for this paperback itself, even just holding it brings back memories.  I'm not sure if this was one of mine or if I picked it up at a used book sale but either way, it's well-worn and lightweight.  The cover art is bright and the oversized face on the cover makes the eyes stand out even more, like one of those paintings that follow you around the room.

My Opinion
4 stars

It's been a long time since I've stayed up for "just one more page...just one more page" before finishing the book in one sitting so that added to the nostalgic feeling reading this little paperback.

It definitely held up as a 'younger' thriller.  It's not too gory and there's suspense and action on every page to maintain interest.

I guess it's a trilogy and it went right into the next book by ending with a "to be continued..."  I don't own the second or third books but I would've read them right away in a row if I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment