Saturday, June 24, 2023

The Distance Between Lost and Found

 Book 58 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read on June 24

The Distance Between Lost and Found
by Kathryn Holmes

Summary (via the book jacket)
Hallelujah Calhoun knew she'd never forget the night of the incident with Luke Willis, the preacher's son, but she couldn't have predicted what would follow. Rumors swirled around school, and with her best friends now against her, Hallie had no one to turn to.
Now, six months later, Hallie finds herself on a youth group retreat in the Smoky Mountains with the same people who have ostracized her at school - and Luke, unsurprisingly, is leading the pack. Hallie meets an outgoing newcomer, Rachel, but after months of bullying, she can't bring herself to trust anyone.
On a group hike, the incessant bullying pushes Hallie to her limit. When Hallie, Rachel, and Hallie's former friend Jonah get separated from the rest of the group, the situation quickly turns dire. Days go by in the unforgiving wilderness, and the three have no choice but to band together despite the obstacles and hurt clouding their way. If Hallie finally speaks up about the night that changed everything, will it close the distance between being lost and found? Or has she gone too far to come back?

My Opinion
3 stars

I read this in a day because even though it's a children's book so I knew it would turn out ok, I wanted to know what would happen.  It was a sneaky religious book but I did appreciate the honesty and frustration of the characters as they processed what was happening (especially how they were rescued).  I probably would've rated it higher if they'd been found a day or so earlier and there had been more time spent on the "after" - all that buildup for her to find her courage and then we didn't see her tell anyone what happened or get the sense things would be different for her in a social sense.

It read very young and I wouldn't have guessed these were high schoolers based on the secret and how long it took for everything to come out.  I'm not doubting the shame she felt but I'm frustrated that the adults around her, especially her parents, let things go on for months and months as she withdrew.

All's well that ends well.  This was fine while I was reading it but it's not one I'll pass on to my teens; I'll donate it and know it will find the right audience.  Would it be too snarky to say God will guide it to the right reader's hands?  (that has nothing to do with the book or author, just my own personal feelings)

No comments:

Post a Comment