Saturday, April 13, 2024

The Glass Ocean

 Book 33 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from March 30 - April 13

The Glass Ocean
by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig, and Karen White

My Opinion
2 stars

I'm conflicted.  The book was incredibly readable and I was sucked into the relationships of the characters while I was reading it.  But as soon as I would set the book down it would be difficult to pick it up again because I wasn't really enjoying it.

The characters were good and the use of different authors made three very distinct voices as the chapters alternated.  But it was too much - too many double crossers, things that could've been resolved super quickly taking too long (a misunderstanding taking 2 years to talk through, the reader being kept in the dark about the grandmother by refusing to say her name at natural opportunities, the super late reveal of both the traitor on the ship and the maid's identity even though both were clear, etc.), and not enough wrap-up on Patrick which was the character that started the whole thing.

So I'm conflicted.  This particular book didn't work for me because of too many plots but I also can't pinpoint what I would've removed because I liked them all separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment