Friday, November 1, 2013

8-Bit Christmas

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 76.

I would like to thank NetGalley and DB Press for the opportunity to read and honestly review this book.

8-Bit Christmas by Kevin Jakubowski

Summary (via Goodreads):
It's 1980-something and all nine-year-old Jake Doyle wants for Christmas is a Nintendo Entertainment System.  No Jose Conseco rookie card, no GI Joe hovercraft, no Teddy friggin' Ruxpin - just Nintendo.  But when a hyperactive Shih Tzu is accidentally crushed to death by a forty-two-inch television set and every parent in town blames Nintendo, it's up to Jake to take matters into his own hands.  The result is a Christmas quest of Super Mario Bros. proportions, filled with flaming wreaths, speeding minivans, lost retainers, fake Santas, hot teachers, snotty sisters, "Super Bowl Shuffles", and one very naked Cabbage Patch Kid.  Told from a nostalgic adult perspective, 8-Bit Christmas is a hilarious and heartfelt look back at the kid pop culture of the 1980's.

My Opinion:
I was browsing on NetGalley and randomly decided to give this book a try.  I'm so glad I did because it was fantastic!  I liked it for the same reasons I like to watch A Christmas Story every year...a straightforward plot (boy wants toy. how will boy get toy?)  but a super fun nostalgic ride.
Highly recommended, especially if you're a child of the '80's like me and/or you can identify the following things (just a few of the throwback references that made me smile): Family Double Dare, Domino's the Noid, Mr. Wizard, Book It (with the free personal pan pizza), and Nintendo (obviously).

Quote of the Blog:
*Since I read an ARC, I couldn't quote from the book directly like I normally do.  I will end with Nintendo's original slogan - "Now you're playing with power!"

No comments:

Post a Comment