Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Annie on my Mind

Book 75 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden

Summary (via Goodreads)
This groundbreaking book is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings. This book is so truthful and honest, it has been banned from many school libraries and even publicly burned in Kansas City.
Of the author and the book, the Margaret A. Edwards Award committee said, “Nancy Garden has the distinction of being the first author for young adults to create a lesbian love story with a positive ending. Using a fluid, readable style, Garden opens a window through which readers can find courage to be true to themselves.”

My Opinion
Published in 1982, it's unfortunate that this story could still be believable today. The book put me in their position and I could feel their helplessness.

It was unlike other books with same-sex relationships because this was just a story about young love, and they just happened to be two girls. There was controversy in their surroundings but the only statement this relationship and this book made is love is love. Period.

The last page was hokey but who cares? I was engrossed the whole time. 


Quote from the Book
"Have you ever felt really close to someone? So close that you can't understand why you and the other person have two separate bodies, two separate skins? I think it was Sunday when that feeling began."


No comments:

Post a Comment