Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Normally, This Would Be Cause for Concern

Book 67 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

Normally, This Would be Cause for Concern: Tales of Calamity and Unrelenting Awkwardness by Danielle Fishel

Summary
A memoir by Danielle Fishel, an actress best known for her role as Topanga on Boy Meets World.

My Opinion
Ugh. The book got off to a bad start for me in the first chapter when she talked about being too good for horror movies and soap operas. She's had success for many years but it was basically because of ONE role (I know she's done other things but I assume the majority of her recognition comes from her time as Topanga). Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Boy Meets World fan and loved her in that role (and can't imagine anyone else playing her as I learned almost happened) but reading that was off-putting, especially as she talked just a few pages later about learning not to be so judgmental.

I jot notes as I read to help with my reviews and I actually wrote this to myself 23 pages in - "Okay, calm down, it's just a light book, settle in and let it go". As a caution to people that don't always finish the books they start like I do...it may start off on the wrong foot but it gets a little better. More 'ba dum bump' cutesy than awkward (and definitely not worth the comparison to Mindy Kaling she received on the book jacket), but better nonetheless.

She redeemed herself with her stories of appreciation for fans and how approachable she is for photos. There were some fun facts - I didn't know she dated Lance Bass. The story about people having trouble distinguishing between her and her character, leading to her getting dirty looks when out with her boyfriend as if she was cheating on Cory, was funny.

As an editing note,  it  was difficult to grasp the full complaints she had in the story about her hair color at her wedding since the accompanying photos were in black and white. But I always like photos in memoirs and it was fun to look back and remember the show. 

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Before we take our relationship any further, I have something important to tell you. Hello, my name is Danielle Fishel, and I am a total klutz."

"I can still do the splits (if I don't have anywhere I need to walk the next day)."

No comments:

Post a Comment