Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Best American Short Stories 2012

Book 76 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

The Best American Short Stories 2012
by various authors, edited by Tom Perrotta

Summary
This book is a collection of short stories that were originally published in a U.S. or Canadian magazine between January 2011 and January 2012. 

My Opinion
I love short stories because they're bite-size and perfect for those stolen reading moments in the van waiting for kids or at the doctor's office. Books that contain many short stories by the same author are okay but stories by multiple authors in the same book so I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get...that's my bread and butter.

As with any short story collection, there are going to be some hits and some misses. I enjoyed reading it and thought it was fine but as I look over the notes I jotted down after each story I had 2 "really liked", 5 "goods", 10 "okays", and 3 "nopes", which leads me to rate it a little lower than I typically would.

Favorite Story
My two "really liked" were The Last Speaker of the Language by Carol Anshaw and What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank by Nathan Englander

No comments:

Post a Comment