Monday, January 22, 2024

Accidental Magic

 Book 7 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from January 6 - 22

Accidental Magic
by Iris Beaglehole

My Opinion
2 stars

In the beginning:
I chose this book from Prime Reading because it looked interesting.  I started to read a little to see if it would stick and ended up forcing myself to stop after 5 chapters because I don't have the time to continue.  

I like the mother-daughter duo but really hope the "fish out of water" doesn't last too long and they accept what it true and begin learning.

Checking In (25% through):
I like the characters but I really need at least a few basic things to be answered soon.  This appears to be the first book in the series and I hope it isn't going to drag everything out. I at least need them to accept what they're seeing and start investigating what it means for them.

It kind of has an "Alice in Wonderland" vibe when they go into town because all the characters are a little off and seem to speak in riddles.

Checking In (halfway through):
I don't know about this.  The pages pass quickly once I start reading but I've also been putting off returning to the book because I'm getting frustrated with the lack of any answers.  Not one person they've decided to trust (even if it's wrong, at least it's a commitment)?  Not one area of circumstances that is becoming clearer?  

I guess it's progress that they're accepting the magic but I need more.

Checking In (60% through):
I'm making slow progress on this because I get frustrated.

Duuuuddddeeee...I need some sort of "teams" to be decided.  I know there's usually a twist where someone you trust is the bad guy (or vice versa) but continually acting like they're brand new and not making any decisions about anyone keeps everything up in the air, both because it adds unnecessary drama but also because there's not new information being learned.  They're new to town and they don't trust anyone enough to ask questions so we're still just blindly limping along.

And now there are vampires...

The End
Ok that last third really turned it around.  If the events had been paced better throughout the entire book I would've enjoyed the whole thing a lot more.

Final Overall Thoughts
Now that some things have been settled I'm tempted to read the second book but I'm not sure.
I was pretty frustrated for most of the book but once the action actually started it passed by in a blur.  All's well that ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment