Sunday, January 21, 2024

Cat Crimes

 Book 6 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from January 14 - 21

Cat Crimes

My Opinion
3 stars

This small paperback was a cozy way to pass some time.  As I always do when reading things with multiple authors, I'll say a little something about each story individually.

Ginger's Waterloo
That twist packed a punch, I did not see it coming at all!  I even read back through the story to see how the author had misdirected so well.

Bedeviled: A "Nameless Detective" Story
This particular case didn't keep my attention but I liked the character enough to look into the "Nameless Detective" series.

A Weekend at Lookout Lodge
It was fine.  I wished it had leaned more into the "haunting" aspects throughout the story.

Tea and 'Biscuit
Very short, even for a short story.  There wasn't an ability to "play along" because the reasoning/clues weren't given until after they'd already solved the case and announced the culprit.

Horatio Ruminates
It wasn't a mystery but the author did a great job of capturing a cat's haughty nature.

Scat
Fairly predictable but an unique job.  The culprit but unbelievably careless at the end but it was needed to move the story along.

Blindsided
The ending was hokey but the bait-and-switch in the middle of the story was amazing.  I didn't see it coming at all.

The Last Temptation of Tony the C.
I thought the connection to cats was very thin until the ending which I did not anticipate.  I still didn't really like the story though.

Buster
I had the method of death correct but the motive wrong.

Catnap
I didn't know what was going to happen but it was a lot of hoopla for a random ending.  It wasn't a mystery.

Last Kiss
I was bothered more by the violence to the animal than the violence to the human which usually seems to be the case with me.

Little Cat Feet
Anticlimactic ending.  I know it's a short story so things have to be wrapped up but to go through an entire list of suspects only to have the murderer basically break down and admit it after one question ends the story with a whimper, not a bang.

Finicky
Very short and creepy.

The Duel
The fact that she died as well makes absolutely no sense...after all that work put into thwarting his poisoning efforts she absentmindedly forgets and eats the food?

Archimedes and the Doughnuts
That was a solid story from start to finish with just enough personality to jazz it up without extra details.
The title and the inclusion in this book told me from the very beginning where it was going.

The Lower Wacker Hilton
Unique story and setting but there was so much effort to make the characters sound like wise-guys with all the extra words and interruptions that it was difficult for me to sift through and find the actual important stuff.

A Proper Burial
I understood the grief from the couple who had replaced children with their cat.  Surprising ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment