Saturday, January 27, 2024

Everyone You Hate is Going to Die

 Book 8 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from January 13 - 27

Everyone You Hate is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life
by Daniel Sloss

My Opinion
5 stars

In the Beginning:
I'm a big fan.  I feel like verbal and physical presentation affect how he can say such outrageous things without being offensive so I hope that can translate to writing as well.

Checking In (about 75% through):
Oof, I just finished the chapter "Lads Lads Lads" and need to take a moment.  It hit me hard (in a good way).  

The reasons I like watching/listening to Daniel Sloss is because I enjoy dark humor but he also makes me feel safe to laugh.  It takes a certain person to be able to say outrageous things while also conveying they would protect you if some moron took their jokes as permission to act out of line.

The concern I had before reading that his work wouldn't translate to print has not been an issue.  If anything, it's a little better because I can experience it how I want to without the performance of someone else's reaction.

Final Overall Thoughts:
This book (and Sloss in general) is not for everyone but it is for me.  Great entertainment.  I didn't realize until the very end when reading the acknowledgments that there's a picture on the front of the book if you remove the book jacket.

It also makes me happy reading about his then-girlfriend knowing they're now married with a child.

Best out-of-context line: "History is written by my weiner."

Best line: "I rolled down the window and showed him my bird collection. I have only one, but it had been inside of his mother, so I thought they should be acquainted."

So dumb but I laughed more than I want to admit: "I am a genius. Nay, a god. Neigh, a horse."

No comments:

Post a Comment