Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Good Divide

 Book 31 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

The Good Divide
by Kali VanBaale

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2016

In the lush countryside of Wisconsin, Jean Krenshaw is the ideal 1960s dairy farm wife. She cooks, sews, raises children, and plans an annual July 4th party for friends and neighbors. But when her brother-in-law Tommy, who lives next door, marries leery newcomer Liz, Jean is forced to confront a ten-year-old family secret involving the unresolved death of a young woman.
With stark and swift prose, The Good Divide explores one woman's tortured inner world, and the painful choices that have divided her life, both past and present, forever.

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
I'm sure I added this book to my 'to-read' list because of the author.  She's a local author who came to speak to our book club when we read "The Space Between".  It must've been before I was on Goodreads because I don't have a rating for it but I remember liking it.

As for this book, I'm surprised because it's a thin book with large text (although it's a pleasant surprise because not everything has to be a mammoth).  Based on the description I can already picture the setting.  A 1960s Midwestern farm wife can easily become a stereotype in the wrong hands but as a fellow Iowan, I think she'll be able to do more than "country=hick".  I'm looking forward to reading it.

My Opinion
4 stars

It began with a strong start and continued to hold my interest through the entire book.  I was so uncomfortable and squirmy because everything felt so real. This easily could have been a 'read in one sitting' book if I'd had the time.

Looking at my first impressions, I was correct that Jean was definitely not written as a farmwife stereotype.  I had no idea where the book was going but was definitely down for the ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment