Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Last Word

 Book 30 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

The Last Word
by Lisa Lutz

Summary
book 6 of The Spellmans series
published 2013

Isabel Spellman is used to being followed, extorted, and questioned—all occupational hazards of working at her family’s firm, Spellman Investigations. Her little sister, Rae, once tailed Izzy for weeks on end to discover the identity of her boyfriend. Her mother, Olivia, once blackmailed Izzy with photographic evidence of Prom Night 1994. It seemed that the Spellmans would lay off after Izzy was fired for breaching client confidentiality, but then Izzy avenged her dismissal by staging a hostile takeover of the company. She should have known better than to think she could put such shenanigans behind her.
In The Last Word, Izzy’s troubles are just beginning. After her hostile takeover of Spellman Investigations, Izzy’s parents simply go on strike. Her sister, Rae, comes back into the family business with questionable motivations. Her other employees seem to be coping with anxiety disorders, and she has no idea how to pay the bills. However, her worst threat comes from someone who is no relation. Within months of assuming control of the business, Izzy is accused of embezzling from a former client, the ridiculously wealthy Mr. Slayter, who happens to have Alzheimer’s, which Izzy and he are diligently trying to keep under wraps. Not only is Slayter’s business and reputation on the line, but if Izzy gets indicted for embezzlement, she’ll lose everything—her business, her license, and her family’s livelihood. Is this the end of Izzy Spellman, PI? The answer makes The Last Word, hands down, the most thrilling book in this bestselling, award-nominated series.

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
This is a re-read so I don't have a first impression.  I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads the first time I read it.

The cover is darker and starker than previous books; this definitely leans more into the 'mystery' aspect with the chalk outline of a body and the title formatted like crime scene tape.

My Opinion
3 stars

As mentioned above, I previously read this book and gave it 4 stars.  I'm rating my re-read 3 stars.  Nobody is interacting with each other so it's not as fun.  Even when they fought in the past they were still communicating and I missed the banter when it was the silent treatment.  It also seemed bleaker when not a single thing was under control - every family member, every case, the finances, etc. 

The ending was good though.  Although I would read more if she wrote them, this was definitely written as a final sendoff.

REVIEW FROM ORIGINAL READING (July 2013)

I rarely read books the minute they come out, but Lisa Lutz is one of the few authors I make the effort to a) keep track of exactly when their new books will be released and b) put my name on the reserve list at the library so I can have it right away.
The relationship between the Spellmans is why I love the series so much, and this book was no exception. It was a slower start than the others (the beginning focused more on the cases since the tension resulted in fewer family conversations), but the writing was fresh and I still liked it a lot.
I look forward to future books by the author.
I always recommend reading series in order; the first book in this series is "The Spellman Files".


No comments:

Post a Comment