Sunday, March 19, 2023

Ash Wednesday

Book 29 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read on March 19

Ash Wednesday
by Paula McLain

My Opinion
2 stars

This short story is part of the A Point in Time collection available through Prime Reading.  Although the plot was interesting (and apparently based on a true tragedy), I didn't like the way the story was shaped.  With a short story you only have a few pages to convey a full arc and in this story it seemed like side details were honed in on at the expense of more important ones.  I read multiple times about his mother smelling like apple peels but three of his children dying was mentioned in one sentence.

I was okay until the inquest and then everything wrapped up so quickly it threw me off.  So this wasn't the story for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment