Monday, February 19, 2024

Cast Member Confidential

 Book 14 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from February 15 - 19

Cast Member Confidential: A Disneyfied Memoir
by Chris Mitchell

My Opinion
3 stars

A quick read that was fine while reading it but fine that it ended too.

At very beginning he explains how he's able to write this book.  It was published awhile ago so I was curious to see if he had any backlash.  In the briefest of Google searches after finishing the book, it doesn't appear there was anything major (negative reviews, of course. but legal action, no.)

I was concerned with the tone as the book started because he was really leaning into "edgy outsider who questions everything".  I may agree some of the rules seem silly but I'm also not applying to work there.  The "Disney experience" is a very real thing many people take seriously so I continued reading hoping he either leaned into the job or got out.  He did end up leaning in much further than I expected which made the abruptness of his exit surprisingly sad.

It's expected and understandable to let down and be a real person behind the scenes so those stories were fun and the best part of the book.  I just took everything with a grain of salt (or a spoonful of sugar, excuse the bad Disney joke).  It doesn't bother me because it wrapped everything up but there's no way every single thing happened all in one day, his last day, and then he just left.  I hope he was telling the truth about his mom's health though and that he was able to get closer to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment