Friday, July 19, 2024

If You Can't Take the Heat

 Book 52 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from July 18 - 19

If You Can't Take the Heat: Tales of Food, Feminism, and Fury
by Geraldine DeRuiter

My Opinion
5 stars

I loved this book.  The title makes it sound angrier than the book actually is; there was a healthy dose of anger but also light moments, personal stories, and lines that made me laugh out loud multiple times.

It's sad how NOT surprised I was that the author has received hate comments and death threats over a food blog.  Ridiculous.

A Few Quotes from the Book

"My aunt once made a pie that can best be described as cursed, pulling out a piecrust from the freezer that was old enough to remember where it was when JFK died."

"Whenever I am at the airport and I'm about to go through TSA, I suddenly become panicked that maybe there is a large quantity of cocaine in my purse, even thought I have never even seen cocaine, and I wouldn't even know how to get a large quantity of cocaine (maybe Costco?), and let's be honest, I'm a white woman with TSA PreCheck and expensive shoes, so someone from Delta would be like, "Ma'am, do you need help carrying your cocaine to the gate?" Which is ridiculous because I don't even fly Delta."

No comments:

Post a Comment