Wednesday, August 14, 2024

The LGBTQ+ History Book

 Book 63 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from July 24 - August 14

The LGBTQ+ History Book

My Opinion
3 stars

You know how encyclopedias are important (maybe less so now with the Internet but I'm still a paper book fan) but you don't sit down and read one from cover to cover?  That's how I feel about this book.  My reservations have nothing to do with content and everything to do with structure.

On one hand it's a great resource for someone looking for information about a topic.  On the other hand a reader wouldn't get the book's full potential without delving in because there's such a wide variety of topics that readers wouldn't have even thought of.

This book is part of a series called "Big Ideas Simply Explained" and I think the explanations may be a little too simple.  It's great to have digestible, accessible information but branching in so many directions in a 300+ page book leads to surface-level book report fact recitation.

I love to see it in our library and I hope people pick it up but I also can't say I loved it as a book to read.

This didn't make any sense.  Also, I admit it...I read encyclopedias cover to cover as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment