Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bitter is the New Black

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 2.

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
Summary:  A non-fiction book covering about 2 years of Jen's life after she and her husband both lose their jobs due to downsizing.  The book starts with their household income of $250,000 and Jen's outlandish shopping habits, continues through unemployment checks and moving out of their penthouse, hits rock bottom with car repossession and potential eviction from their "ghetto apartment" (her words), then bounces back at the end with her book deal.  

I think Jen is a great writer, but this book was difficult for me to read due to my (ahem) "frugal" nature (I don't care how much money you have, $7000 for a couch that nobody can sit on is ridiculous!).  I appreciate how she is completely honest about her faults and doesn't try to make herself sound better than she is - she learns some lessons, but doesn't completely change.  She would drive me crazy if I knew her in real life, but since I don't, I was able to enjoy her stories and laughed out loud more than once.

If you've read other books by Jen and liked them, I would recommend this one as well.  If you've never read her before, I would recommend reading one of her other books (like Jeneration X or Such a Pretty Fat) instead.

Quote of the Blog:
“In other words? The bitch had it coming. And I am that bitch.” ~ Jen Lancaster

On a personal note, this is the first book I've read using an electronic device - again, due to gentle book posse peer pressure.  I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, but I will still read actual books whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment