Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Name is Mary Sutter

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 8.


My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira
Summary:  This historical fiction novel is about Mary Sutter, a midwife aspiring to become a surgeon during a time when women aren't allowed to apply to medical school.  As the Civil War starts, she leaves the safety of her home to provide assistance to wounded soldiers.  Mary must find her inner strength as she makes many sacrifices to pursue medical knowledge and help others.  This book also includes details about the Civil War, Dorothea Dix, and Abraham Lincoln.  

This book packs an emotional punch.  Speaking generally to avoid spoilers, this book covers the highs and lows of Mary's professional and personal life, as well as the overall bleakness of the Civil War and the frustration of the doctors that try to save with minimal supplies and sanitation. 

Strongly recommended if you like historical fiction and strong female characters.  

Quote of the Blog:
"When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." ~ Audre Lorde

No comments:

Post a Comment