Wednesday, October 23, 2013

All There Is

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 73.

All There Is: Love Stories from Storycorps by Dave Isay

Summary:
Dave Isay is the founder of Storycorps, an oral history project started in 2003 in which participants (relatives, friends, etc.) spend 40 minutes interviewing each other; one copy goes home with them and one copy goes to the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
All of the stories in this book are about romantic love.

My Opinion:
Considering I could sit with elderly people and listen to them talk all day, this book was fascinating to me (not all the people in this book were elderly but those were my favorite stories).  Add in the fact that all of the stories were about looove...swoon.  It was joyful, heartbreaking (Beverly Eckert's story especially just tore me up), and inspiring.
Recommended for human interest saps like me.

Quote from the Book:
"It lasted fifty-three years, two months, and five days.  It's been rough, but every morning when I wake up she's included in my prayers, and I talk to her every night when I go to bed.  She was something.  One thing: If they ever let me in those pearly gates, I'm going to walk all over God's heaven until I find that girl.  And the first thing I'm going to do is ask her if she would marry me and do it all over again." ~ Leroy Morgan, age 85, remembering his late wife Vivian

No comments:

Post a Comment