Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pictures of You

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 75.

Pictures of You by Caroline Leavitt

Summary (via the book jacket):
Two women running away from their marriages collide on a foggy highway.  The survivor of the fatal accident is left to pick up the pieces not only of her own life but of the lives of the devastated husband and fragile son that the other woman left behind.  As these three lives intersect, the book asks, how well do we really know those we love and how do we open our hearts to forgive the unforgivable?

My Opinion:
An emotional story; I read the entire thing with a lump in my throat (but no tears).  Although there were some abrupt transitions, what I appreciated about this book is that it shows life is messy and gray and there isn't a perfect solution that will make everyone happy and whole again.  I didn't understand how some characters could make the choices they did, but that's realistic (and maddening) as well.  The characters did the best they could and while I was angry and sad as the story progressed, I was happy with where everyone ended up.  Sort of.
 
Quote from the Book:
"How could you ever know what choice was the right one and what opportunity might be a mistake you would regret all your life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment