Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Case Histories

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 70.

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
Book 1 of the Jackson Brodie series

Summary (via Goodreads):
Case one: A little girl goes missing in the night.

Case two: A beautiful young office worker falls victim to a maniac's apparently random attack.

Case three: A new mother finds herself trapped in a hell of her own making - with a very needy baby and a very demanding husband - until a fit of rage creates a grisly, bloody escape.

Thirty years after the first incident, as private investigator Jackson Brodie begins investigating all three cases, startling connections and discoveries emerge...

My Opinion:
This book had potential but never really took off for me.  It lost focus and the resolutions of the cases were anticlimatic, some because I saw them coming a mile away and some because I didn't see them coming but they were presented so casually that there was little time to have a reaction before the story moved on to something else.
I have other books by the author on my "to-read" shelf and am still planning to read them, but I wouldn't recommend this particular book.

Quote from the Book:
"It didn't matter how much you hated it, [your children] were always going to have secrets."

No comments:

Post a Comment