Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mr. Monster

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 89.

Mr. Monster by Dan Wells
Book 2 in the John Cleaver trilogy

Summary (via Goodreads):
In I am not a Serial Killer, John Wayne Cleaver saved his town from a murderer even more appalling than the serial killers he obsessively studies.
But it turns out even demons have friends, and the disappearance of one has brought another to Clayton County.  Soon there are new victims for John to work on at the mortuary and a new mystery to solve.  But John has tasted death, and the dark nature he uses as a weapon - the terrifying persona he calls "Mr. Monster" - might now be using him.
No one in Clayton is safe unless John can vanquish two nighmarish adversaries: the unknown demon he must hunt and the inner demon he can never escape.

My Opinion:
John is such an authentic character that I worry about the mental health of the author.  All of the little details, like using "it" instead of "he/she" when referring to people, were spot on.
The mystery was great; it was unusual and the supernatural tinge wasn't overdone.  But what kept me turning the pages was John's inner turmoil (again, perfectly written).  As he relaxes his rules and pushes his limits, will he still be able to control Mr. Monster?  I'm ready to jump right into the third book and find out!
I would recommend this to fans of psychological thrillers, but it is necessary to read "I am not a Serial Killer" first to get the full experience.

Quote from the Book:
"Was it possible to be two people, one good and one bad, or was I forced to be a mix of both - a good person forever tainted by evil?"





No comments:

Post a Comment