Friday, January 4, 2019

Egghead

Book 1 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from January 1-2

Egghead
by Bo Burnham

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2013
Bo Burnham was a precocious teenager living in his parents' attic when he started posting material on YouTube. One hundred million people viewed those videos, turning Bo into an online sensation with a huge and dedicated following. Bo taped his first of two Comedy Central specials four days after his eighteenth birthday, making him the youngest to do so in the channel's history. Now Bo is a rising star in the comedy world, revered for his utterly original voice. Also, he can SIIIIIIING! (Kind of.)

In EGGHEAD, Bo brings his brand of brainy, emotional comedy to the page in the form of off-kilter poems, thoughts, and more. Teaming up with his longtime friend, artist, and illustrator Chance Bone, Bo takes on everything from death to farts in this weird book that will make you think, laugh, and think, "Why did I just laugh?"

My Opinion
4 stars

The last sentence of the description is sums up how I feel about Bo's material.  I love watching him perform and while this book isn't as good as the whole experience of watching him, I could hear his voice as I was reading and enjoyed the book too.

At first I assumed this was about Trump but then I learned it was published in 2013 so I guess it's just a happy coincidence:
Donald
No matter our race or color or creed
or way of life or species or breed.
No matter our height or girth or scent,
we all hate Donald because Donald is a fucking dick.

I wonder what people that read this book but aren't familiar with his work think.  He can get written off as dirty or silly but he has messages too (sometimes - don't think too deeply about all of them).  For example:
Ashley

Little Ashley hung magazine spreads on her wall,
after picking the magazines out in the mall.
Models and actresses, singers and more,
with cleavage and makeup and glamor galore!

All of her heroes were finally nearer.
Her whole room looked perfect - except for the mirror.

The artwork was interesting as well and added to the experience of the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment