Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Jubilee Manor

Book 62 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

Jubilee Manor by Bethany Hagen
Book 2 of the Landry Park series

Summary (via the book jacket)
When Madeline Landry uncovered the horrible truth behind her elite gentry family's legacy of wealth and influence - a legacy that came at the expense of the lower-class Rootless's freedom - she sacrificed everything to help the Rootless. Now Madeline is the only one who can possibly bring this divided society together, despite doubts and anger on both sides.
But when her gentry peers start turning up dead, even Madeline suspects a Rootless is behind it, putting her at odds with the boy she loves and the very people she's trying to lead. With life, love, and even a possible civil war at stake, Madeline must find the killer...before it's too late. 

My Opinion
I was looking forward to reading this after enjoying the first book in the series.  As I mentioned it that review, the first book could've been a standalone if someone wasn't interested in continuing (what a nice surprise!) but I liked the characters and wanted to see what happened next.

I liked it but it was more melodramatic with the romance than the first book, probably because the author had to fill in for the "will they or won't they" stuff that was answered in the first book.  I get young love but kissing at a burial is a bit much.

I also felt so much happened "off screen" at the end that it felt rushed and wasn't as satisfying after all the buildup throughout the book.

Even thought this is listed as "The conclusion to Landry Park" (again, another surprise!) and there was a 3 page epilogue giving a pretty definitive ending, I would read more if the author happened to write another one.  Actually, I'm mixed - I want to read more but I'm also so impressed with the author that I want her to keep her word and be done with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment