Friday, January 4, 2019

Murdered, My Sweet

Book 76 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

Murdered, My Sweet by Joan Lowery Nixon

Summary (via the book jacket)
Jenny Jakes and her mother, a famous mystery writer, travel to see their cousin, Arnold Harmony, who's made his fortune in the chocolate business. Harmony, an eccentric millionaire, wants his will read publicly before he dies.
When Harmony's son is murdered just before the reading, Jenny's mother decides to spring into action as a real-life detective. But Jenny's mother doesn't have a clue about solving a real crime, so it's up to Jenny to use her wits to save her mother's reputation. And to keep herself from being killed.

My Opinion
My kids love this author so when I was looking for an easy holiday read I decided to give this is try because I was past this reading level when it came out (published in 1997) but it looks like one I would've liked at a young age as well.

I ended up giving it a neutral 3 stars because I can see why the kids like her and that's who she's writing for but this wasn't a juvenile read that also entertains an adult audience.  I ended up rolling my eyes at how everything came together; it was lots of "right place at the right time" and people crumbling into confession monologues after being asked 1 question.

It does make me want to break out my Christopher Pike books to see a) if they hold up at all and b) if the kids would like him as much as I did.

Quote from the Book
"It's not easy being related to a woman who's famous for murdering people."

No comments:

Post a Comment