Thursday, January 3, 2019

My First Ladies

Book 72 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

My First Ladies: Thirty Years as the White House Chief Floral Designer
by Nancy Clarke

Summary (via Goodreads)
Nancy Clarke reveals the touching, funny, and illuminating story of what it was like to serve under six administrations and to help each First Lady find her own personal style when it came to planning flower designs, state dinners, and holiday festivities in the White House.

My Opinion
I picked this book when I was searching the library catalog for something with a similar title and this one popped up and looked interesting.

It was a great touch that each First Lady had something to say about her, either specifically for this book or in notes they had sent and the author shared.

Her enthusiasm was contagious and even though I don't know anything about flowers, the behind-the-scenes details of the White House parties and their guests were fascinating.  I loved all the pictures and notes, including the general questionnaire each First Lady filled out with their preferences; there is more thought put into all the details than I ever imagined.

Fun fact: they first were allowed to wear pants during the Clinton administration...another effect of Hillary's pantsuits.


No comments:

Post a Comment