Thursday, January 3, 2019

Life After Life

Book 65 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

**I received an electronic copy of this book via NetGalley and would like to thank the author and/or publisher for the opportunity to read and honestly review it**

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Summary (via Goodreads)
What if you could live again and again, until you got it right? 
On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born to an English banker and his wife. She dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in a variety of ways, while the young century marches on towards its second cataclysmic world war. 
Does Ursula's apparently infinite number of lives give her the power to save the world from its inevitable destiny? And if she can - will she?


My Opinion
It flowed nicely which was good because I needed to read it pretty steadily to keep everything straight.  I couldn't decide if it was getting old or not - how many restarts would there be? - but reading it over the holiday gave me forced breaks that helped because I think I'd be tired of all the restarts if I'd read the book straight through.  It helped a lot that I found the characters to be very interesting so I didn't mind reliving parts of their lives.

A Few Quotes from the Book
*quotes from an ARC and may not be the same in the final version*

"One breath, that was all she needed, but it wouldn't come.
  Darkness fell swiftly, at first an enemy, but then a friend."

"Ursula craved solitude but she hated loneliness, a conundrum that she couldn't even begin to solve."



No comments:

Post a Comment