Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Cider House Rules

Book 66 of my 2017 Reading Challenge
read from September 30 - November 10

The Cider House Rules by John Irving

Summary (via Goodreads)
Rich in characterization, epic in scope, The Cider House Rules is the heart-wrenching story of orphan Homer Wells and his guardian, Dr. Wilbur Larch. With nods of affection to both David Copperfield and Jane Eyre, Irving's novel follows Homer on his journey from innocence to experience, brilliantly depicting the boy's struggle to find his place in the world.

My Opinion
I bought the paperback at my local library's sale and I found an Amtrak ticket from 16 years earlier.  Even better, I actually know the person whose name is on the ticket and look forward to seeing the look on her face when I return it!  Another reason I love print over electronic and used over new.

I like the subtle, natural way the author marked time passing.  I'm always absorbed in the world the author creates.

This passage still rings true today:
  "These same people who tell us we must defend the lives of the unborn - they are the same people who seem not so interested in defending anyone but themselves after the accident of birth is complete! These same people who profess their love of the unborn's soul - they don't care to make much of a contribution to the poor, they don't care to offer much assistance to the unwanted or the oppressed! How do they justify such a concern for the fetus and such a lack of concern for unwanted and abused children? They condemn others for the accident of conception; they condemn the poor - as if the poor can help being poor. One way the poor could help themselves would be to be in control of the size of their families. I thought that freedom of choice was obviously democratic - was obviously American!"

A Few Quotes from the Book
"...Larch knew he had made a promise; he had established a routine. "Here in St. Cloud's," he wrote in his journal, "security is measured by the number of promises kept. Every child understands a promise - if it is kept - and looks forward to the next promise. Among orphans, you build security slowly but regularly."

"I have made an orphan; his name is Homer Wells and he will belong to St.Cloud's forever."


No comments:

Post a Comment