Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bird

Book 89 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from November 07 - 13

Bird by Crystal Chan

Summary (via the book jacket)
Nothing matters.
Only Bird matters.
And he flew away.

Jewel never knew her brother, Bird, but all her life she has lived in his shadow.
She lives in a house drenched in silence.
Filled with secrets.
Then one night, a boy in a tree changes everything...

My Opinion
My friends and I went to this author's reading at the Iowa City Book Festival which means we got to hear the SUPER SECRET ZOMBIE ENDING that isn't online anywhere.  That was definitely memorable.

Her descriptions were vivid and unique, such as when she said "The tension in the air suddenly grew so thick we didn't need tree limbs to sit on anymore, we could have sat on one of those words that just crawled out and got huge".

I will definitely pass this YA read on to my kids.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Grandpa stopped speaking the day he killed my brother, John."

"If you give up too much of yourself, too fast, then someone can just up and take it away. And a person like me, without too much of my own to start with - well, you need to be careful with what you got."

No comments:

Post a Comment