Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Lost Marble Notebook of Forgotten Girl & Random Boy

Book 66 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read on August 16

The Lost Marble Notebook of Forgotten Girl & Random Boy 
by Marie Jaskulka

Summary (via the book jacket)
If I let you read mine, will you let me read yours?
Forgotten Girl, a fifteen-year-old poet, is going through the most difficult time of her life - the breakup of her parents and her mom's resulting depression - when she meets Random Boy, a hot guy who, like her, feels like an outcast and secretly writes poetry to deal with everything going on in his life.
In The Lost Marble Notebook of Forgotten Girl & Random Boy, the couple's poems come together to tell their unique love story. The two nameless teenagers come from opposite sides of the tracks, yet they find understanding in each other when they lay bare their life stories through the poetry they write and share.
Through verse, they document the power of first kisses, the joy of finally having someone on their side, the devastation of jealousy, and the heartbreaking sadness of what each of them is simultaneously dealing with at home and hiding from the world. Finally they have someone to tell and somewhere to tell it in their marble notebook.
This is the powerful story of two imperfect teens in first love who find solace in poetry.

My Opinion
Five star read.  It didn't go at all like I expected but man, what a ride.  I didn't always like it because it was difficult and heartbreaking but I loved its authenticity. 

I read it in one sitting and then had to sit and let the emotions I'd absorbed dissipate before getting up and moving on.

I loved lines like:
"Me, I've got on
 a plain white T
 and too-tight jeans
 that cut into my 
 belly when I sit. I also
 don the
 requisite
 hoodie to
 hide the heart
 I wear 
 on my sleeve."

and
"All this time
 I've wanted someone 
 to see,
 but now
 I wish he
 were blind."

A Few Quotes from the Book
"I don't usually
 take things from strangers,
 or smoke,
 and boys don't usually
 try to save me 
 either.

 But I take the cigarette 
 and the light he offers
 and my first drag of
 nicotine relief
 because

 I can just tell
 this random moment
 is going to change me
 forever."

"So I apologize
 in advance - 
 because
 I will hurt you
 a million times.

 But I want you
 to remember
 I regret it
 unconditionally."

No comments:

Post a Comment