Sunday, December 18, 2016

Eight Cousins

Book 41 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from April 21 - May 08

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott

Summary (via Goodreads)
The orphaned Rose Campbell is raised by extended family, with her medical Uncle Alec as primary guardian.

My Opinion
This book was published in 1874. I can't rate it based on the other books of its time but I would say it was well-written.

I can rate it based on "why does my library still have a copy of this?", a.k.a. "does this stand the test of time?", and for that my answer is no.  I'm guessing the library has it because of the author's name recognition, the same reason I picked it up and read it.

It's an interesting look back at how kids spent their days but it doesn't hold up well and young readers picking it up today, especially girls, would not understand the fuss over many of the situations.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Rose sat all alone in the big best parlor, with her little handkerchief laid ready to catch the first tear, for she was thinking of her troubles, and a shower was expected."

"If you dear little girls would only learn what real beauty is, and not pinch and starve and bleach yourselves out so, you'd save an immense deal of time and money and pain. A happy soul in a healthy body makes the best sort of beauty for man or woman."

"Polish is easily added, if the foundations are strong; but no amount of gilding will be of use if your timber is not sound."

No comments:

Post a Comment