Monday, December 19, 2016

Cranky Ladies of History

Book 47 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from May 15 - 30

Cranky Ladies of History 

Summary (via the book jacket)
Throughout history, women from all walks of life have had good reason to be cranky.
Some of our most memorable historical figures were outspoken, dramatic, brave, feisty, rebellious and downright ornery.
Cranky Ladies of History is a celebration of 22 women who challenged conventional wisdom about appropriate female behaviour, from the ancient world all the way through to the twentieth century.
Some of our protagonists are infamous and iconic, while others have been all but forgotten under the heavy weight of history.
Sometimes you have to break the rules before the rules break you.

My Opinion
I don't know if this is true non-fiction or historical fiction based on true women but either way I don't care.  They're all stories of powerful women so I love it.  Of course, as with any collection of short stories, I love some more than others so I have mini reviews of each story individually.

Queenside by Liz Barr
There wasn't much to this story.  It had just enough information that I want to research further on my own to find out more.

The Company of Women by Garth Nix
This was a riveting story and I didn't expect the supernatural elements in this type of book.

Mary, Mary by Kirstyn McDermott
I LOVED this one!  It was probably my favorite story in the book.

A Song for Sacagawea by Jane Yolen
The style, a short prose, was a nice change of pace.

Look How Cold My Hands Are by Deborah Biancotti
I want to research this one further as well.

Bright Moon by Fox Meadows
Riveting and powerful.

Charmed Life by Joyce Chng
The character's voice really came through in this story.  Unfortunately, the tale of a man taking credit for a woman's work is still a common one.

A Beautiful Stream by Nisi Shawl
It was nice to have the inclusion of women loving women in the book but overall this felt long and wasn't my favorite.

Neter Nefer by Amanda Pillar
Meh, this one was okay.

Due Care and Attention by Sylvia Kelso
I wasn't sure about this one at first but it picked up and ended well.

The Dragon, The Terror, The Sea by Stephanie Lai
This one felt long.

Theodora by Barbara Robson
This covered a time period I know the least about, Rome during the 500s.

For So Great a Misdeed by Lisa L. Hannett
This powerful story pulled me in.

The Pasha, the Girl and the Dagger by Havva Murat
I really really liked this one a lot.

Granuaile by Dirk Flinthart
This one made me laugh.  I like how unique all the stories are from each other.

Little Battles by L.M. Myles
It kept my interest but no strong feelings one way or another.

Another Week in the Future, an excerpt by Kaaron Warren (writing in the style of Catherine Helen Spence)
Nope.

The Lioness by Laura Lam
I like this one because I appreciate stories that show the humanity of "villains".

Cora Crane and the Trouble With Me by Sandra McDonald
I'd read a whole book about Cora Crane but this particular story wasn't executed well, although it had a good start.

Vintana by Thoraiya Dyer
I'm not sure what was happening in this one.

Hallowed Ground by Juliet Marillier
Meh.

Glorious by Faith Mudge
It was a nice touch to start and end the book with stories about the same family but different perspectives (different sisters were the main character).  This one felt pretty long.

No comments:

Post a Comment