Friday, December 23, 2016

Manhattan Mayhem

Book 63 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from August 04 - 10

Manhattan Mayhem

Summary (via Goodreads)
Best-selling suspense novelist Mary Higgins Clark invites you on a tour of Manhattan's most iconic neighborhoods in this anthology of all-new stories from the Mystery Writers of America. From the Flatiron District (Lee Child) and Greenwich Village (Jeffrey Deaver) to Little Italy (T. Jefferson Parker) and Chinatown (S.J. Rozan), you'll encounter crimes, mysteries, and riddles large and small. Illustrated with iconic photography of New York City and packaged in a handsome hardcover, Manhattan Mayhem is a delightful read for armchair detectives and armchair travelers alike!

My Opinion
Mini reviews of each story.

The Five-Dollar Dress (Mary Higgins Clark in Union Square)
That had an ending I didn't see coming!

White Rabbit (Julie Hyzy in Central Park)
It was an unexpected, interesting story but the way it unfolded with the two of them having that conversation was pretty unrealistic.

The Picture of the Lonely Diner (Lee Child in the Flatiron District)
A really good writing style and descriptions but not a fan of the story.

Three Little Words (Nancy Pickard on the Upper West Side)
I really really liked that one.  I've never read this author before but will again.

Damage Control (Thomas H. Cook in Hell's Kitchen)
Good writing style.  I hate (in the good, pull my heartstrings kind of way) the "what if" stories where you just want the ability to go back in time and do something different.

The Day After Victory (Brendan DuBois in Times Square)
It was fine but the circumstances of their conversation were unrealistic.

Serial Benefactor (Jon L. Breen in the Empire State Building)
Meh, it's not a great sign when I have to put it down because I can't get through a short story in one setting.  It was all "tell" and no "show" but at the same time, the ending wasn't really an ending and that was a time I could've used more "tell".

Trapped! (Ben H. Winters in Chelsea)
I liked the concept but not the ending.

Wall Street Rodeo (Angela Zeman on Wall Street)
This story was okay.  The plot was so-so but the writing kept it interesting.

Copycats (N.J. Ayres in Alphabet City)
That was really fleshed out with tons of character development.  The mystery wrap-up was quick and a little hokey but I will definitely read this author again.  This may not be my favorite mystery but as a regular story, it was very very well-done.

Red-Headed Stepchild (Margaret Maron on the Upper East Side)
Very unexpected and it made me laugh.  It wasn't much of a mystery but it was a really good story.  I'll read this author again.

Sutton Death Overtime (Judith Kelman on Sutton Place)
A lot of story for not much of an ending.  It felt like a cop-out.

Dizzy and Gillespie (Persia Walker in Harlem)
Pretty predictable but still a good read.

Me and Mikey (T. Jefferson Parker in Little Italy)
Gritty and felt really authentic.

Evermore (Justin Scott on the Hudson River)
It was decent.

Chin Yong-Yun Makes a Shiddach (S.J. Rozan in Chinatown)
I would read more about this character.

The Baker of Bleecker Street (Jeffrey Deaver in Greenwich Village)
It didn't go the way I expected.  Very unexpected.





No comments:

Post a Comment