Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Girl on the Train

Book 58 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from July 12 - 14

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Summary (via Goodreads)
EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?


My Opinion
Very strong debut from the author.  I was so uncomfortable reading it (in the good suspense novel sort of way) and by the end I just wanted to know what was going to happen and wasn't going to put the book down until I had answers.

When we started hearing Anna's perspective I got pissed off.  Nothing to do with the mystery, it was her personality.  She "rescued" a married man by having an affair and causing a divorce?  Wow, how noble of you. *heavy sarcasm*

I think the mystery still could've been prolonged without Rachel making the stupid decision not to talk to the mystery man the first (or second) time she saw him, especially when it didn't amount to much anyway, and she was making enough bad choices without adding that to the list of bafflement.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Some days I feel so bad that I have to drink; some days I feel so bad that I can't."

"I am interested, for the first time in ages, in something other than my own misery. I have purpose. Or at least, I have a distraction."

No comments:

Post a Comment