Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Dark Places

Book 50 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from July 28 - August 2

Dark Places
by Gillian Flynn

Summary (via Goodreads)
published 2009

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in "The Satan Sacrifice" of Kinnakee, Kansas. She survived - and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, the Kill Club - a secret society obsessed with notorious crimes - located Libby and pumps her for details. They hope to discover proof that may free Ben. Libby hopes to turn a profit off her tragic history: She'll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club - for a fee. As Libby's search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started - on the run from a killer.

My Opinion
3 stars

The author knows how to write twists and turns that keep the reader hooked and the pages moving.  I would read one person's side, think that sounded reasonable and plausible, make a theory about what happened, read another person's side that was the direct opposite of what I just read, think that sounded reasonable and plausible, make a theory, and repeat until the book was over.  I was audibly reacting to this with "What?!?!" and "No!!" as I read (especially fun since I was on a road trip with my family at the time) and alternating between putting the book down because I didn't want to read more but not for long because I wanted to know more. 

So why only 3 stars? Because that ending was complete and utter BULLSHIT, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment