Monday, October 14, 2019

The Book of Dead Days

Book 58 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from August 27 - September 4

The Book of Dead Days
by Marcus Sedgwick
Book 1 of the Book of Dead Days series

Summary
published 2004

There was no summary anywhere on the book and I mentioned it as part of my review so I'm going to forgo my usual practice and not look for a summary online.

My Opinion
4 stars

In true "Reading at Random" fashion I went into this book completely blind.  I saw it on the shelf at the library, there was no description on the jacket, and I decided to check it (and the sequel right next to it) out based solely on the title.  The fact that they were short books made it easier to take a leap of faith as well.

After a brief definition of what The Dead Days were (the last 5 days of the year in ancient times when the calendar only listed 360 days but they knew it took 365 days to orbit the sun), the author jumped right into the story.  The pacing was good and I enjoyed it but you do have to commit to reading both books because there was not much of an ending in this book and it melted directly into the next one.

Quote from the Book
"The Dead Days have a knack of stretching themselves. When the days are out of the normal flow of time, time can stand very still indeed. All time, and no time. The dead time of the Dead Days."

No comments:

Post a Comment