Tuesday, October 1, 2019

The Eye of the World

Book 42 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from March 24 - June 28

The Eye of the World
by Robert Jordan
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time series

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 1990

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, and Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

My Opinion
4 stars

Here's my approach to reading: I read anything and everything but Christian fiction.  I usually have one fiction and one non-fiction going at the same time and my goal is always 100 books a year; I don't always meet it but it's always the goal (I also started this year looking to average 100 pages a day to make up for the length of books I take on sometimes).  I very rarely, if ever, re-read books no matter how much I love them.

Here's my husband's approach to reading: he doesn't read much, as in maybe reads 1 book a year.  But if he is reading, it's going to be from The Wheel of Time series.  He tries to read an entire book in a year and then starts over with the series again when he reaches the end (yes, there are 14 books so we're talking decades that this has been his approach).  He's read all the books and listened to the audio versions as well.

I'd never read this series but seeing how much he loves it (we've been together 20 years and he started this process before we met so I've been watching this with fascination for a loooong time) inspired me to finally give it a go.  Luckily for our relationship, haha, I enjoyed it too and will continue reading.  It wasn't confusing even though it took me time to read it - it helped that the characters were also new to the world so everything was explained very well.  But I'll definitely continue the series fairly quickly to make sure I remain clear.

A Few Quotes from the Book

"In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

"Whatever the Dark One wants, I oppose, so hear this and know it true. Before I let the Dark One have you, I will destroy you myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment