Tuesday, October 15, 2019

This Will Only Hurt A Little

Book 59 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from September 4 - 7

This Will Only Hurt A Little
by Busy Phillips

Summary (via Goodreads)
published 2018

Busy Philipps’s autobiographical book offers the same unfiltered and candid storytelling that her Instagram followers have come to know and love, from growing up in Scottsdale, Arizona and her painful and painfully funny teen years, to her life as a working actress, mother, and famous best friend.
Busy is the rare entertainer whose impressive arsenal of talents as an actress is equally matched by her storytelling ability, sense of humor, and sharp observations about life, love, and motherhood. Her conversational writing reminds us what we love about her on screens large and small. From film to television to Instagram, Busy delightfully showcases her wry humor and her willingness to bare it all.

My Opinion
3 stars

I'm always a little bummed when there aren't pictures included in a memoir, especially from someone as young and prevalent on social media as Busy Phillips is.  Not anything to affect the rating, just something I notice first thing when I'm flipping through the book.

This book was interesting because I'm familiar enough with her to be able to place the things she's talking about but not familiar enough with her that it was already known.  I had no idea she helped write "Blades of Glory" and that there was so much drama around it with the other writers.

This was the kind of book that's good from a reading standpoint because she lays it all out there but also a little uncomfortable as I wonder what the people mentioned it the book think about it.  Again, not something that affects the rating - everyone can write as much as they're comfortable with and it was written well - but something that always makes me a little curious when I'm reading a biography when the people are still alive.

Quote from the Book
"I have a hard time just existing. I always think that if only I could be somewhere else, with someone else, doing something else, then I would be happy, finally. The hole would be filled. I know that's not how life works. But it's always been the thing that drives me."

No comments:

Post a Comment