Monday, December 31, 2018

Fathers and Sons

Book 30 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

Fathers and Sons by David Katz

Summary (via Goodreads)
From Esquire, which has always showcased the world’s finest writers, comes a stunning collection of often moving essays about fatherhood.
Compelling and eloquent, these are some of the magazine’s most emotionally powerful pieces, as eleven award-winning and notable authors reflect on manhood through memories of their own fathers and their personal experience of raising sons. The collection covers everything from birth to death, from the thrilling and terrifying hours Daniel Voll spent in the delivery room during his wife’s long labor to Jake La Motta’s heartbreaking piece about losing his two sons to David Sedaris’s sidesplitting portrait at his father—a food hoarder who once took a bite of his own hat.


My Opinion
I wrote down a short review of each story as I read it.  As far as the book as a whole, there were more "hits" than "misses" so I enjoyed it.

The Beginning: really descriptive, powerful writing.  I'm glad their story went well since they ignored their doctor.

The Babyproofer: over the top but sadly, not by much.

Sam: meh.

The Lost Boys: good writing but an uninteresting topic.

My Life, My Loss: is he famous?  I don't get the style because I don't know him.

Me and Sandy the Bull: open but also uncomfortable to read.

The Man Who Mistook His Hat for a Meal: I like his writing but it was kind of gross. I thought it was going a different direction. 

My Father the Spyreally vivid writing.  Hard to watch but good to share.

Eating with My Father: short and sweet, it's good to have those moments.

My Father's Memories: really nice with a good point about the competition between fathers and sons.

My Father's Fashion Tips: My favorite of the book, really touching.

My Father, the Bachelor: nice way to wrap up the book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment