Monday, December 31, 2018

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Book 41 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Summary (via Goodreads)
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.
Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through.
A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life ... as only a dog could tell it.


My Opinion
5 star read.  The first chapter was super emotional; I read it in the van while on vacation with my family and immediately passed it around so everyone would a) experience what I was experiencing and b) decide if they wanted to read it after me.  The amount of days it took to read doesn't reflect that I read it in 2 sittings; as I mentioned, I was on vacation so my time was limited.

This is the kind of book I feel weird recommending since it's sad...hey, want your heart ripped out?  You should definitely read this. 

Quote from the Book 
"I marveled at them both; how difficult it must be to be a person. To constantly subvert your desires. To worry about doing the right thing, rather than doing what is most expedient."

No comments:

Post a Comment