Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Hate U Give

Book 28 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Summary (via Goodreads)
Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.
Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.
But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.
 


My Opinion
I had high expectations after rave reviews across the board from all my friends and it didn't disappoint.

Even though I could've read it all at once because it was so engrossing, I could only take a little at a time.

This is one of my top books of 2018 and one that will be continually recommended by me as necessary reading. 

A Few Quotes from the Book
"I've seen it happen over and over again: a black person gets killed just for being black, and all hell breaks loose. I've tweeted RIP hashtags, reblogged pictures on Tumblr, and signed every petition out there. I always said that if I saw it happen to somebody, I would have the loudest voice, making sure the world knew what went down.
 Now I am that person, and I'm too afraid to speak."

"There's that word again. Bravery. Brave peoples' legs don't shake. Brave people don't feel like puking. Brave people sure don't have to remind themselves how to breathe if they think about that night too hard. If bravery is a medical condition, everybody's misdiagnosed me."

No comments:

Post a Comment