Monday, December 31, 2018

I Will Carry You

Book 47 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

I Will Carry You: the Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy
by Angie Smith

Summary (via the book jacket)
Angie Smith was eighteen weeks pregnant with her fourth daughter, Audrey Caroline, when doctors discovered conditions leaving Audrey "Incompatible with life." Faced with the decision whether to terminate the pregnancy, Angie and her husband chose to carry Audrey for as long as she had life. This began what turned out to be three months of loving and carrying a little girl that was not expected to live more than a few minutes.
Audrey Caroline lived for over two hours, weighing three pounds, two ounces. Yet, in the midst of the sorrow of loss, there was still joy. Angie weaves the faith-filled story of Audrey Caroline with a biblical story of hope to help us all understand how better to cope with loss and disappointment. 

My Opinion
Very vulnerable and honest, this was easy to read and get absorbed with their family and story.  I had to take breaks because of the rawness. 

I don't normally read religious books so I was prepared to make my usual "this isn't my typical genre so take this with a grain of salt" disclaimer that comes up when I do happen to read them but it wasn't necessary here.  The religion came in as she talked about how they coped but it wasn't preachy.  I don't have that faith myself but I can appreciate it in those that do (as long as they don't try to force it onto others) and am almost jealous of the strength they find in it. 

A Few Quotes from the Book
"She will not return to me. 
  Six words that will shape every one of my remaining days on Earth."

"So what is it like to live life after losing a child?
  I guess that depends on the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment