Monday, December 31, 2018

The Best American Mystery Stories 2003

Book 43 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

The Best American Mystery Stories 2003 

Summary (via the book jacket)
This seventh installment of the premier mystery anthology boasts pulse-quickening stories from all reaches of the genre, selected by the world-renowned mystery writer Michael Connelly. His choices include a Prohibition-era tale of a scorned lover's revenge, a Sherlock Holmesinspired mystery solved by an actor playing the famous detective onstage, stories of a woman's near-fatal search for self-discovery, a bar owner's gutsy attempt to outwit the mob, and a showdown between double-crossing detectives, and a tale of murder by psychology. This year's edition features mystery favorites as well as talented up-and-comers, for a diverse colleciton sure to thrill all readers.

My Opinion
I have a few words about each story but overall, I enjoyed this book.

The Jukebox King: I didn't completely understand this but it could be user error since I read it in spurts while working.

Aardvark to Aztec: Meh.  I'm not off to a great start here, is it me?

The Pickpocket: Not really a mystery per se but still a good story.

After You've Gone: It made me super uncomfortable which I guess meant it was a good story.

Hostages: good.

Death on Denial: fine.

The Jeweler: lots of details but no full-fledged story.

Thug: Signification and the (De) Construction of Self: the idea was good but the execution wasn't. The footnotes were longer than the actual story.

War Can Be Murder: too many people for a short story and heavy-handed on homosexuality.

Richard's Children: good proper mystery with a twist end.  I wondered if this group really exists?

When the Women Come Out to Dance: be careful what you wish for.

The Confession: I glossed right over the clue.  Good but unrealistic story.

Lavender: it felt long but I didn't mind.

The Skull: open-ended so I can't say for sure but I did think he was shady.

The Dead Their Eyes Implore Us: fine.

Sockdolager: entertaining.

The Adventure of the Agitated Actress: it had a whole lot of bluster for nothing.

Home Sweet Home: really vivid and good.

Controlled Burn: didn't understand ending.

That One Autumn: not really a mystery but good just as a story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment