Saturday, December 31, 2022

A Room Called Earth

 Book 66 of my 2022 Reading Challenge

A Room Called Earth
by Madeleine Ryan

3 stars

A Room Called Earth takes place over the course of one evening in a young woman's life.  I didn't realize until just now that she literally doesn't have a name.  It's first-person so I didn't really notice but looking back, she never introduces herself or has a conversation that references her name.  And as I'm flipping through to verify that I realize nobody has names.  Interesting.

Anyway, she seems self-aware so it wasn't so bad reading her inner monologues but man, some of those conversations made me cringe!  The spacing also made it hard to distinguish who is talking, especially when she was speaking in a group of 3.

I loved the line, "Although she desperately wants to be seen, she doesn't want to take up space."

No comments:

Post a Comment