Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Best American Short Stories 1992

 Book 56 of my 2022 Reading Challenge

The Best American Short Stories 1992
by various authors

3 stars

All in all, these were quiet stories that passed by like little snapshots of life.  After finishing I realized they're listed in alphabetical order by author so similarities between a few at the end were coincidental.

The Last Lovely City
I was nervous while reading it because I thought it was going in a different direction.  After reflecting on it I realize how much of the scenarios playing out were in his own head and not what was actually happening around him.

Days of Heaven
That story made me uneasy.  Even though the people weren't being cruel to animals all the talk of hunting and natural death of animals around them in the woods made me sad.  

A Different Kind of Imperfection
I really liked the characters and would've read more of their story.  

Silver Water
I could feel all the emotions just below the surface in this story.  Mental illness is hard for the loved ones as well and it's frustrating to try and find care and help.

A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain
There were a lot of words for a short story and I had to re-read passages to remain grounded in what was happening.

Across the Bridge
The story was fine but felt long for a short story because of the actual number of pages but also because my mind kept wandering.  I wasn't super interested.

Same Place, Same Things
That story pulled me right in.  There was an underlying sense of how one poor choice could have catastrophic decisions but as I read I didn't know which choice (regarding the woman) would be the poor one.

Emergency
That was quick and readable even though I had no idea what was real and what was in the narrator's (drugged) imagination.

The Pugilist at Rest
This story was graphic and tough for me to read because my dad was injured in Vietnam and it affected him for the rest of his life.  

JunHee
BEST SO FAR.  That had the perfect waves of emotions threading through the story and ended at a perfect time.

Community Life
That was good but in an uncomfortable way.  The characters were well-written but cringey and unlikeable, the kind you want to yell at to make better choices.

Carried Away
It started really strongly but by the time it reached Arthur's perspective it was getting a little long and then the ending at the depot went off the rails entirely.

Is Laughter Contagious?
The story was difficult to read because everyone was awful.  

The Fare to the Moon
AMONG BEST.  Everyone was on the same page and even though there was pain, they were honest and there wasn't unnecessary pain due to miscommunication.  It was a good length and even though there were no resolutions now that I think about it, I felt satisfied somehow.

It's Come to This
Meh.  When I take breaks during a short story that's a sign it has not held my interest at all.

The Way People Run
That was unsettling.  It was fine for a short story but I would've tired of the main character if it had gone on much longer.

Forever Overhead
I'm familiar with this author and he always paints such a visceral picture with the details.  My palms were as sweaty as I imagine the main character's were as he was reaching the end of the diving board and deciding whether or not to jump.

Under the Roof
The ending was abrupt and confusing.  I feel like it was supposed to be an "Aha!" moment but I must have missed something because it didn't answer any questions for me.

The Golden Darters
Maybe it's me because this is another story I just couldn't get into.  

Firelight
That was a good story.  


No comments:

Post a Comment