Thursday, December 29, 2022

Black Enough

 Book 37 of my 2022 Reading Challenge

Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America
by various authors

5 stars

Published in 2019, Black Enough is an anthology of coming-of-age stories about black teens in America.  It was an excellent read because of the stories but it also shifted my perspective.  Reading stories where it wasn't overtly pointed out that the characters were black but instead referenced a character's braids (as an example) made me realize how so many books start off with the assumption that the main characters are cis and white unless stated otherwise.  

Although some of the stories covered the heavier topics of the black experience such as interactions where being black (or judged for being black) is a main focal point, many of the other stories were just teen stories about experiences many people have.  I feel like my explanation sounds better in my head than on the page but the bottom line is I really liked this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment